Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Football Flower

Mums make me recall 
Cold nights and stadium lights
Lettered sweaters and 
Concession stand hot-dogs 
With Coco-Cola.

Mums remind me of homecoming,
Of scoreboards flashing
Home versus Visitors,
Of the Star-Spangled Banner
Sung by Betty Sue White

One look at a mum and
I see N.H.S. in silver glitter.
One look and I hear voices cheering
A runner down to the end zone.
Touchdown!

One look and I hear the band take up 
Its victory song, see them march
In black and red lines, 
Waving flags, beating drums, 
Piping flutes and trombones.

One look and I see cheerleaders, 
Pompoms and megaphones.
I see children climb,
Children play on the
Concrete steps of the bleachers. 

Mums make me feel
The autumn chill in the air.
Make me shiver. 
Mums take me back to those 
Glorious fall game nights

No comments:

Post a Comment